What's the best advice that your father gave you?
Simon Fletcher
2004-08-05 15:17:51 UTC
What's the best (serious, or even humorous) religious (or otherwise)
advice that your birth father really gave and / or still gives you,
about living and life in general ?
wbarwell
2004-08-05 14:27:38 UTC
Post by Simon Fletcher
What's the best (serious, or even humorous) religious (or otherwise)
advice that your birth father really gave and / or still gives you,
about living and life in general ?
"Never try to fill an inside straight."
--
Senator Waxman's searchable database of iraq war lies.
www.house.gov/reform/min/features/iraq_on_the_record/

Cheerful Charlie
barb
2004-08-05 18:06:19 UTC
Post by Simon Fletcher
What's the best (serious, or even humorous) religious (or otherwise)
advice that your birth father really gave and / or still gives you,
about living and life in general ?
That's a stupid question. Some of us are adopted.
However, my DAD has taught me not to blindly trust or accept authority
without careful consideration and evaluation.

Good advice, in light of the numerous betrayals of trust we've seen
perpetrated by "religious" figures and public servants.

And always maintain good perspective and humor.
--
--barb
Chaplain,ARSCC

"Imagine a church so dangerous, you must sign a release
form before you can receive its "spiritual assistance."
This assistance might involve holding you against your
will for an indefinite period, isolating you from
friends and family, and denying you access to
appropriate medical care. You will of course be billed
for this treatment - assuming you survive it. If not,
the release form absolves your caretakers of all
responsibility for your suffering and death.

Welcome to the Church of Scientology."

--Dr. Dave Touretzky
Peter Alexander
Warrior
2004-08-05 19:05:43 UTC
In article <***@posting.google.com>,
Simon Fletcher says...
Post by Simon Fletcher
What's the best (serious, or even humorous) religious (or otherwise)
advice that your birth father really gave and / or still gives you,
about living and life in general ?
None, that I recall. My father died at the age of twenty two in an
automobile accident. I was sixteen months old at the time.

From what my mother told me about him, he most likely would
have told me to follow the Golden Rule as his best advice.

I tend to believe that he did his best to apply this in his life since
I once saw his hand-written and framed "rules for successful living"
hanging on the bedroom wall of his parents' house. The first rule
listed was "Follow the Golden Rule".

Warrior - Sunshine disinfects
http://warrior.xenu.ca
Ian Rennie
2004-08-06 00:07:23 UTC
Post by Simon Fletcher
What's the best (serious, or even humorous) religious (or otherwise)
advice that your birth father really gave and / or still gives you,
about living and life in general ?
1) assume nothing. If you don't know, find out.
2) Know the difference between facts and opinions even if nobody else does.
3) Nobody is irredeemable.
4) There is no such thing as evil, only ignorance and cruelty.
Mike O'Connor
2004-08-06 00:43:41 UTC
Post by Simon Fletcher
What's the best (serious, or even humorous) religious (or otherwise)
advice that your birth father really gave and / or still gives you,
about living and life in general ?
"Question everything."
--
LYING IS A SCIENTOLOGY SACRAMENT
ASK THEM ABOUT XENU
Remember Lisa McPherson
RolandRB
2004-08-06 11:35:11 UTC
Become a Seventh Day Adventist or burn in hell.
Zorrosblade........Z
2004-08-06 15:46:54 UTC
Post by Simon Fletcher
What's the best (serious, or even humorous) religious (or otherwise)
advice that your birth father really gave and / or still gives you,
about living and life in general ?
Never stop when you're on a roll. Stopping a roll for whatever reason is
not only a craps table sin, it's a sin in general. Corollary: one must be
honest to oneself if on "a roll" or not, or chips might disappear
quickly.

Oft times I've seen certain posters 'faking a roll' where none is had as
an attempt to 'sell' their unproven theories through 'theme' repetitions
which is supercilious at best. Faking a roll that doesn't exist is driven
by petty Ego's looking to influence others with an ongoing 'rag' when
arguments in the past failed the objective muster. Vested interest and
emotional hunger for 'say so' power is the engine behind it, imo. It's
dissembling any way you cut it.

But for anyone who is on a genuine posting roll that readers pick up on
*as* genuine, *never* stop that roll until it's played out, even if
you're rolling over others in the process. Don't worry about adversaries
barking, just *stay* with the roll until it's played out.

My father was a genius who unfortunately died in his early 40's, but his
dream came true even though he wasn't around to see it bloom:
http://www.sbmimodco.com/default.htm

He was literally *one* of a kind, and everyone who had the luxury of
being in his orbit knew it. He left this world in 1965 from a sudden
heart attack, a week before what was to be my Bar Mitzvah.

"Never stop when you're on a roll", (a productive/honest/creative roll),
because your admirers will smile and your adversaries will seethe to your
rolling delight. Either reaction, you win it for yourself, at the very
least, if you play the roll out.

Being on a roll can never be controlled or predicted. It's spontaneous,
like muscles jumping to a task--- out of nowhere. It's the stuff of life,
and ARS at it's best, imo.

...Z

"The balls know when you're broke."
- Rudolph Wanderone// aka Minnesota Fats